Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Dressing Change

~Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.~ 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

This morning we took Sydney to have her bandages changed (happy 30th birthday to me!).  Sydney's surgeon gave us the option of changing them in her clinic without any medicinal intervention or in the OR with a laughing gas type intervention.  We chose to have it changed in the OR.  Unfortunately, this meant we had to go through the same protocol we did for her surgery: pre-op, no eating past midnight, arrive early at the hospital, and go through recovery.  I definitely was not nearly as freaked out this time as last time.  In fact, Sydney had the same nurse anesthetist and she commented on how much more calm I was. :) 

The surgeon wanted to change her bandages so that she could make sure the pins in her ring fingers were still in place and doing their job as well as to make sure everything else was healing properly.  She also offered to take pictures of her hands so we could see what they look like.  Blake and I feel like her hands being wrapped up is almost like a little Christmas present- we want to take a peek!

Once Sydney was brought back to the OR, we barely had time to get settled in the waiting room before we were called back to the recovery room.  I think we waited about 30 minutes, 45 minutes tops.  The big difference this time was that I could hear her screaming as soon as we walked into the recovery area, before I could even see her.  While I am sure there was pain involved, I think she was mostly scared and confused.  It took us quite a while to get her calmed down, but I don't blame her for being so upset. 

Sydney's doctor said she is very pleased with the way her hands are healing overall.  While her hands look bloodied, swollen, and somewhat bruised, they are not as bad as I expected.  Blake's parents also said they do not look remotely as bad as his did following his surgeries.  I am hopeful that in two more weeks they will look even better!

Only two more weeks and two days before her hands are freed!!

Sydney with her dad waiting to go back to the OR

No comments:

Post a Comment