Friday, April 22, 2011

Surgery Day

~Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. ~

Wednesday was Sydney's surgery.  It was a long and stressful day, but Sydney came through it amazingly well.  I started this blog knowing we would have a difficult journey ahead, but I want Sydney to one day read about what she went through.  Part of the beauty of the surgery being now is she will have no memory of the pain, the casts, or my craziness leading up to the procedure :) 

We began our day early, waking Sydney up at 6:30.  We had so many blessings throughout the day and we started with one right from the beginning: Sydney woke up as happy as could be.  She wasn't bothered by the fact that we had woken her in the middle of the night to eat, that we were waking her much earlier than normal, or that she couldn't eat.  It made the morning much easier for us that she was so content.

Happy baby in her crib!

Arriving at the hospital


When we arrived at UNC things were busy from the get go, but time seemed to go by incredibly slow.  We checked Sydney in, signed some papers, and had a few minutes to visit with friends Dianne and Pete (who were so incredibly kind to stop by) before we were called back to the pre-op area. 


ACC Building at UNC-Chapel Hill


In my hospital gown

In Sydney's pre-op room

Left hand marked and ready

Right hand marked and ready

For me, once we were brought back to the prep area things became real and difficult.  The nurses and doctors were wonderful and understanding, each one kind about the tears they saw running down my face.  We met with several nurses, the anesthesiologist, and the surgeon.  The surgeon went over what she was hoping to accomplish and let us know that she was expecting the surgery to last between 4 and 6 hours.  Then, pretty much exactly at the scheduled surgery time of 8:45, the anesthesiologist had us give last minute hugs and kisses and took Sydney off for surgery.  I cannot begin to describe the feelings inside watching her being carried away.  It was a moment I knew was coming and one that had been built up in my mind for a year.  I don't know if the fact that I had a long time to think about having to one day hand her over made it harder or not.  The one thing I know for sure is that handing her over and watching her being carried away from us is the hardest thing I have ever done. 

Once she was brought back to the operating room (and I was able to collect myself), the waiting game began.  Blake and I tried to stay busy to pass the time, and we tried unsuccessfully not to watch the minutes ticking by.  We were lucky to have both of our parents keep up company as well as my brother (another hidden blessing in the day).  We also had several visitors including Andrew, Dianne and Pete again, as well as Blake's parents' pastor who lead us in  prayer (another blessing).  During this time, we had moments of peace and moments of worry.  It was definitely an emotional rollercoaster.

Finally, pretty much right at 2:00, Sydney's surgeon came out to tell us about that she was finished.  She let us know that Sydney came through the surgery fine.  She also gave us details about the surgery itself.  I would love to write lots of details at this point about exactly what she accomplished, but once I heard that Sydney was ok, I had trouble focusing on the details of what she said.  I am sure she will tell us again when she takes the bandages off in four weeks.  At this point, I can tell you the following highlights (all blessings):
  • Sydney has 10 fingers!  Each finger has it's own fingernail!
  • The surgeon did not have to use skin grafts. (AMAZING!)  She feels that her left hand will look pretty much like a 'normal' hand.
  • Sydney has a pin in each of her ring fingers to hopefully aid in straightening them and discourage them from turning inward.  They will be removed when the bandages come off.
  • It took the surgeon 3 1/2 hours on her right hand and about 1 1/2 hours on her left hand.
  • Sydney has a plaster cast on each arm up to about her elbow and her arms are completely wrapped in what something that looks similar to an Ace bandage all the way to her shoulders.
We thought we would have to wait for awhile before we would be able to see her, but we were brought back to recovery pretty much immediately.  I had prepared myself that it would be difficult to see her in recovery.  I was expecting her to be pale, crying, and agitated.  Instead, I found her comfortably rocking in her recovery nurse's arms.  She looked a bit pale, but just like my baby!  I cannot begin to describe the feeling of relief I had getting to see her.  Another big blessing of the day: Sydney's recovery nurse was an angel.  She was so kind, attentive, encouraging, and patient with our questions.  I have no idea how long we were in the recovery room with Sydney, but I honestly couldn't have cared less because she was in my arms.  Soon enough though, the nurse discharged Sydney after giving us lots of instructions.  Needless to say, we packed Sydney up and brought her home where she belongs!


In recovery with Sydney's WONDERFUL nurse

Everyone happy to see Sydney!

One view of her arms

Sleepy

Once home, Sydney slept through the evening but did take some time to eat.  We laid her in her crib, but she really wasn't having any of it.  Blake and I ultimately took turns holding her in our recliner on our chests while she slept.  It was really the only way she seemed to be comfortable and we were fine with that.  While we didn't get much sleep, she did and that's all that mattered.  She seemed to have some waves of pain but nothing uncontrolable.


Asleep for the car ride home

Another cast view

In reflecting on the day, I am amazed at how well things went.  I must list out some of the things that stood out to me throughout the day:
  • Blake is a rock.  I know inside he was having as hard a time with everything as I was, but he was able to show amazing strength.  While I was breaking down, he was comforting me.  I cannot describe how much I love him: he is an incredible father and I am truly blessed to have him as my husband.
  • We have an incredible support system.  I know Sydney had so many people praying for her, and we felt them all.  I cannot put into words how appreciative I am for every prayer, encouraging word, text, message, and phone call we received.  Sydney had people praying for her from Simi Valley, Califonia to Charleston, South Carolina; from Norman, Oklahoma to Miami, Florida; from Victoria, Texas to Oxford, Mississipi; from New Orleans, Louisianna to Charlotte, North Carolina...and so many points in between! 
  • We made the right decision choosing UNC (and most of you know how difficult it is for me as a State fan to admit that).  From the moment we stepped into the surgical center until that moment we left, Sydney was treated with the best possible care.  Thank God for that!
I know we have a difficult road ahead as her recovery begins.  I cannot begin to understand what Sydney must be thinking with two huge casts on her hands.  She had been using her hands so much lately and now they are both rendered useless for a month.  I know she will become resourceful in how to use them, but it tears me up that she doesn't understand what is happening.  I pray this month will go quickly for her so she can get back to her normal life.

I will continue to update how her recovery is going as much as possible!
Philippians 4:6

3 comments:

  1. So I'm crying a bit reading this -- I can't imagine what it was like to wait for hours while they did Sydney's surgery, but I am so glad that everything went so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful way to preserve your memory for Sydney, so very full of Mommy's love. Glad that things went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I have been following your updates but did not know what your little baby was having surgery for. I cried as I read this and I am so thankful that she came through surgery okay. You and Blake are very blessed. I will continue to pray for you guys! ps. This is Dana...your old next door neighbor from school!

    ReplyDelete